Monday, April 11, 2011

Sometimes all you need is a flat tire...

So, this past Monday was the IA2 group with the SE Vocational School students.  This group is “clicking”.  It really is so refreshing to have this group dynamic.  Establishing and actually seeing these groups in full effect is hard.  It took me a little while before I could admit this.  But, it’s the truth.  It’s hard here.  I am having a WAY easier time figuring out what doesn’t work.  I realize how easy it is to overlook the significance in that.  That, my friends, is success.  So, things have been VERY successful!!! Haha… God gave me a way to facilitate this specific group that is working just so great.  We stay all together (like 20-25 of us) for the review of their commitments from the prior week.  I have seen that when I am taken out of the picture, things run MUCH better and actually seem to have more of an impact.  That is exactly how it is supposed to be! So, I ask them to pick someone from their small group they met with the time before and state what that person said they committed to and the person they said they would share with and then ask that person if they obeyed in doing so.  They seem to have a lot of fun with it.  It gives them a way to “pick” on each other, so it makes it less scary.  So, we do that until at least half of the group has shared.  Know what I love? They are honest.  If they didn’t obey, they say they didn’t obey.  Then, I challenge them. J Now that I think of it I’m not sure I’ve had someone share 2 weeks in a row that they didn’t follow through.  So, then we begin with the story in scripture for that day all together as the group.  I am always overjoyed with the depth of some of the questions and observations.   Even more than that, the simplicity and sincerity of the childlike faith is always just so humbling to me.  Then, when we get to the part where we are to discuss how they are going to be changed and who they are going to share with, they split up into 4 or 5 smaller groups.  They get at it.  I walk around just smiling at listening to them process through all we just talked about.  It works.  This simply works for this specific group.  So, on Monday we discussed a passage of Scripture that talked about Christ’s sufferings leading up to the cross.  We also studied a different scripture that talked about when Jesus had been resurrected and showed himself to Peter and then the disciples and then 500 others.  Man, it was such a good discussion.  So, the groups were meeting and I sat in on one of them.  They had a few questions for me, so we sat there and talked while we waited for everyone else to finish.  They had some really solid questions for me.  We talked about the saving grace of God.  We talked about how there is not one reason why we should wait to surrender to God. That’s when quiet Victoria spoke up.  I can’t even remember exactly what she said, but it led me to ask her if she was waiting to surrender to Christ.  She said that she loved God with all of her heart, but she was waiting for the right time to completely surrender her life to Him.  Of course, I looked at her and said, “What? What are you waiting for??”  She shyly smiled, looking down.  She said, “I don’t know, the Bible says He will come like a thief in the night.” “EXACTLY!”, I emphasized.  She looked up at me and with the sweetest look on her face said, “I want to now.  I’m ready.” So, we prayed and Victoria made the decision to FULLY surrender her life to Christ.  We finished praying and I literally let out a loud “WOOOHOOO!!!” She laughed. I’m pretty sure I embarrassed her. Haha. Everyone looked and laughed at me.  I mean, when the joy comes, I just can’t contain it sometimes!! J  So, we have yet another sister in Christ! I just love how Christ softens heats.  His Truth saves. 

Tuesday morning Drew arrived! He works with Seed Effect, and is here to look at the operations and lots of other things related to the ministry.  He’ll be here for 2 weeks. It’s been good to have a friendly face around here.  We headed up to the office and then that afternoon I headed out to a new village with Scovia.  We introduced the IA2 groups to the loan members the other day at the office so, as always, there was no telling what the Lord had in store for Kinyiba. 

It ended up being about 15 or so men and women sitting around by the time we started, and the group went really well.  As usual for the first meeting, we all shared and talked about “our stories”. There were some hard things shared.  We were finishing up and I looked over to see a woman staggering down the road talking to herself.  For those of you who have been reading along, can you guess what comes next?? …..Yep.  She stops in her tracks, turns towards us, and stumbles her way over.  She asks what we are doing so I told her and before I could even finish she plops herself down in the middle of the circle.  She tells me her name is Esther.  Everyone is sitting around watching.  She is going in and out of making any sense, but manages to tell me that she is a born again believer, goes to a Baptist church there, and has a women’s Bible Study at her house every 3rd Friday of the month.  She tells me that she tries and will live as she should but always finds herself going back.  Scovia actually told me that the words she used were “she’s like a pig always going back to the trash and slop”. She compared herself to a pig.  I told her I would like to pray for  her and she swung her head up, looking at me with eyes that were so full of hurt, and simply asked, “why would you want to pray for ME?!”  I paused.  How exactly should I respond? I found the words, “Because I love you, Esther” coming out.  To which she asks, “Why would you love ME?!”  So, I tell her that I have been loved in a way that I can’t help but share that love with others, and that love comes from Jesus Christ.  She looks at me and says, “I know you.”  I’m pretty sure it was Jesus she was referring to.  It truly was Him conveying His love to her via me.  I just felt she needed to hear that she was loved. I began praying for her, and in the middle of my prayer I hear her start weeping.  Yes, I imagine some in part from the alcohol, but I do believe she was breaking down at the weight of Christ’s love for her…the reminder that she is not forgotten.  Sweet, Esther.  We finished up with praying for the group. 

I am convinced of something; something that seems to be confirmed over and over for me here recently.  It’s not just about the individual person, whoever they are.  It could be Esther, or Yaba, or Nicholas (I’ll share about him in a minute) and yes, God does/plans to do a mighty thing with them individually, but it’s often more about all of the “others” watching.  Each time God draws a drunk to a group, or gives me direction to go specifically pay attention to another, there are people watching.  They are watching Jesus’ love for this “outcast”, the “useless” person, the “crippled”, the one that “distracts”.  Me loving them is often me loving the others by showing them Jesus through my actions.  They look at me like I’m crazy. They just don’t get it.  But, Jesus knows that.  He wants them to SEE him lived out.  I am constantly reminded of this truth as I find myself in the situation where it is completely awkward, and “not easy.” Jesus is seen not only in words, but often more so in actions.  Oh, how I pray that people see Him through my actions to love the unlovable.

So, we head out of Kinyia.  It ended up being about at 45 minute drive on the motorbike.  That’s pretty long on those things.  I enjoyed though especially since I hadn’t been out there before.  It’s always fun getting to “explore”.  J So, we get about 2/3 of the way home and I noticed that the back tire (um, aka where I was sitting) seemed to be sliding.  At first I thought it was just the road since we were driving on quite a bit of sand.  Then, it did it again and Scovia asked if there was something wrong with the tire.  I had a feeling what it was.  I hopped off and sure enough…completely flat.  Awesome. There are so many “little” things that were HUGE “God things”!! Ready???

We were simply 20 feet or so away from a mechanic who fixes bikes. God allowed it to happen right there in the town versus 5 minutes prior when we would have literally been in the jungle with no one around.  It started raining 5 minutes after getting there.  We would have been out in the boonies, in the pouring rain, pushing a motorbike. I just love Jesus.  Scovia drove it to him, and I quickly realize what the Lord has brought us upon.  Guess??......drunks. A circle of men were sitting there under the tree just a drinking and it was apparent had been for a while.  I mean, thanks God for setting up the group for me before getting there!! J Immediately I have one of them asking me for money.  Of course. They pull out chairs for us and we join them in their circle.  There was one man, James, who was not drunk.  He was very sweet and quickly I found out he was born again.  So, I start conversing with them.  James is helping translate (which I loved because he willing did so without me even asking).  Scovia and I just exchanged glances every now and then knowing we both were saying.  She knew I was saying, “Told you I belong with the drunks!” haha So, then Scovia asks where exactly we were..what the town was called. Kangapo. Immediately Scovia and I looked at each other, our mouths open, in awe of God.  Here’s the back story. A number of weeks ago I shared about Simon.  He’s the one who surrendered his life to Christ at church and I talked to about recovering from alcoholism and wanted me to come to his village….Kangapo….to talk about starting a group with the alcoholics. Because of the weather and transportation I wasn’t able to go out when I said I would, and things are just so busy it hasn’t happened.  I had JUST prayed bout it the night before, knowing I didn’t want to just forget about Simon or his village’s need, especially since the Lord allowed our path’s to cross.  So, there we were in Kangapo.  God took care of it. I mean, just too cool.  Come to find out that Simon’s home was literally right behind us, but he wasn’t home.

So, the next thing I know the men are talking about me and how I should stay there with them in their village. Right.  I joke around (you don’t know what a God-send humor is when it comes to interacting in situations when it would otherwise be totally uncomfortable) with them about how I was perfectly happy to stay there with them while the bike was getting fixed! Then, the next thing I know two of the guys are going back and forth about why I would be a better match for them. Lord, have mercy!! It went from, “I have nicer clothes” to, “But I speak English better”.  My oh my….it provided a great opportunity to share Christ’s love and that Christ doesn’t look at things on the outside, but the heart.  I was VERY clear that I was not marriage material for either of them. (of course, in a joking, yet firm way J)

So, Jesus’ love was shared in the best way possible for the circumstances with these guys.  It was actually a lot of fun.  Then it started raining really hard (to which God displayed a HUGE rainbow) so we moved under the covering of a store vs. sitting under the tree.  There, it was just Scovia and I along with James.  I got to find out his story.  He is a recovered alcoholic.  7 years sober and counting.  Yet again, a God thing.  I just knew.  So, I talked to him in depth about not only IA2 groups but also Rapha.  He has everything that would be needed to start it up there in his (and Simon’s) village!  Our tire was repaired and we drove off.  Both Scovia and I were in completely awe of our God.   

So, please be praying for this; for God to open up the time to go back out to Kangapo in the midst of the schedule of other groups so I can “train” James on leading a group.  I want him to be fully confident in his ability to do the Lord’s work there in his village, and do it well!!   

So, Wednesday brought a conversation I didn’t expect to have!  We went to Wudu for our group meeting (which was decided to turn into two now). Guess where the group members asked if it could be held…..a BAR! They were really hesitant to even ask if it could be there and my response…that’s PERFECT! I was pumped.  I mean, perfect.  So, as Scovia, Drew, and I are walking to the market area I wanted to make a stop at a group of men I’ve asked to come before, who haven’t.  There we met Johnson.  He’s in the seminary here on the church compound! He said he’d come join us for the group.  That was music to my ears and wonderful in so many ways!  So, we get there and sit for a while (as usual) and I’m chatting with Johnson, getting to know him a bit.  Come to find out, Johnson is from Kiri!! Kiri is where Yaba is!  So, I’m asking him a million questions and man, was I educated.  Come to find out, Yaba is actually 21 years old!!!!! Y’all, I would have NEVER guessed this!!  AND his parents are “landlords” of the village.  From my understanding this means they kind of “run things”. Anyways, it was confirmed there’s a ton of evil stuff involved.  Slowly but surely things are being unraveled…

Johnston might join us on Thursdays in Kiri. That’s going to be a huge blessing if so!!

Thursday went well.  I shared with a totally new group in Mondikalok.  The Gospel was shared.  One guy specifically was extremely hardened to it.  I’m praying God will use the Truth shared to break him.  We went out to Mede afterwards to meet with my sweet ladies. As always, it was a great group. There was lots and lots of sharing…leading one step closer to Phoebe surrendering to the Lord.  We went to leave and surprise, surprise the bike had a flat tire.  The same tire that was “fixed” 2 days before.  I may have caught a ride back to the office with someone driving by the Scovia knew (don’t freak out dad).  You just never know what’s next here!   

Let’s just say that Friday was tough.  I hit some serious resistance and it was tough. I came to the realization that I’m a little “grouped-out”. 

(Um, someone’s phone just went off and literally said, “Excuse me boss, someone has sent you a text message.” Awesome.)

It’s hard.  It’s tiring.  I can be draining.  All of that, yet I still love it.  But, the truth is I’m a bit grouped-out.  When you do something day in and day out, most of the time the EXACT same thing, just with different people…it’ll wear on ya.  It felt good just to admit that.  That’s really 99% of it.  I lay it out there, and then God proves He’s faithful to provide what I need. He provides the rest.  He provides the strength. He provides the joy. He provides the perseverance.  He provides the desire to push on so many can come to know Him and grow in their relationships with Him. He provides it ALL.

So, I saw Yaba on Friday.  I went and grabbed him and we walked to go buy some bread.  He was so excited.  I just love seeing the smile on his face.  I am also reminded that providing him the earthly needs is only the path to providing him what he needs spiritually.  Not many were interseted in joining the group today.  I knew today I was going to "take it a step further" with Yaba.  He was going to be my personal friend.  Others were going to see this.  So, after a lady chased him away from me when I was buying bread and I tried telling her I ASKED him to stand right by me, we went to find a place to sit for the group. (Yes, sometimes I struggle with what I just typed...and then I'm reminded that they need to SEE Jesus in my words and actions...to keep on keepin' on) So, I sit on a small bench, only big enough for 3.  I tell Yaba to come sit right next to me...on the bench.  This is NOT what Yaba does. He's always sitting on the ground while everyone else is sitting on a bench or a grass mat.  He looks at me almost as if to say, "You want me to do WHAT?" haha. So, he sits and almost immediately a man comes up and says ,"WHY is he sitting there?" So, I gently said, "because I asked him to. I invited him".  So, then I get, "But why is HE sitting there." I smiled.  I looked at Yaba, listening, and said, "HE is sitting here because he is my friend and I invited him to come join us just like everyone else." He was dumbfounded.  He just shook his head and walked off.  I consider this a HUGE success!! :) They noticed.  YES! So, group pretty much consited of Abuba Peresi (the sweet old lady), Yaba, and a random man that I have never seen before.  Oh, and the random lady who walked up, asked why I was there, found out, and walked off.  More resistance lately.  Anyways, so Yaba sat by me the entire time.  It was wonderful.  He just sat there and ate his bread, occasionally touching my arm or grabbing my hand, wanting my attention.  When it was time to go, he didn't want me to as usual.  I reassured him i'd see him next week.  The love I have for Yaba truly is one that could only come from God....

I just love how God loves me.  Saturday’s group at Leikor went SO GOOD.  There were a number of women that really expressed their growth.  There was one specific older woman who specifically wanted me to know how great it was that I was coming to them with the Word.  She told me that she was so thankful that I allowed them to give their input and thought.  She was so thankful I didn’t come just to tell them what the Word said, but to allow them to work through it themselves.  She said how great it was that they could have a chance to go out and be changed and them come back and share about their lives and how they changed.  I mean, all of the things I plead the Lord about/for.  He knew I needed encouraging.  He provided it in a beautiful way.  Everything she said is exactly what I hope is accomplished through these IA2 groups.  Exactly.  Yet again, He knew.

We went through Ruth Chapter 1 at the Women’s Bible Study from my church later that afternoon.  It was a very small showing, but went really well.  I just love the book of Ruth.

I’ll have to share more about Saturday evening and Sunday on the next blog…I want to at least get this up for you!

LOVE!

Jess

No comments: