Tuesday, April 12, 2011

He came to set us FREE!!

So, after getting back from Bible Study on Saturday late afternoon, I pulled up a chair and sat with all of those here at the compound that were just enjoying spending time “hanging out” in the shade.  I don’t understand 98% of what is being said, but it’s fun to try and figure it out by all of the context clues! So, after a few minutes Nicholas joins us.  Allow me introduce Nicholas Butti to you.  I met Nicholas about 2 or so weeks ago as he came and stood in the doorway of my room one morning.  He was a bit hard to understand, but I quickly realized he was asking me for money.  The alcohol on his breath lingered as he spoke to me.  He settled for me saying I wasn’t going to give him money and explained he was a construction worker that was going to start working on the project right next to my room.  He also shared that he was a soldier from Uganda. I knew I’d be seeing much of Nicholas.  So, each morning and evening I made sure to greet Nicholas and ask how he was doing and just about each of those times Nicholas has something to ask me for.  If it wasn’t money, it was medicine.  If it wasn’t medicine, it was a new work uniform.  If it wasn’t a new work uniform, it was a Bible.  Now, we were getting somewhere. J There was more than a few times Nicholas had heard me explaining what I was here to do.  He knew I was all about Jesus. I don’t know that there was one time I talked with Nicholas that I didn’t smell the alcohol on his breath.  It was apparent what he spent all of his money on.  I tried sharing with the other construction workers, especially the lead one named Volo, and he wasn’t having it.  He didn’t want to go there.  After praying, I felt that I needed to back off a bit.  Peter, who is so extremely gracious, spends a lot of time with them.  We both agreed that it was probably best for him to really minister to them through building a relationship and communicating with them in a way that they wouldn’t make them want to close off.  So, I kept on loving them by letting them know they were important to me through greeting them and chit chatting when I could.  Greetings here are HUGE. 

So, I’m sitting there with about 6 or 7 others and Nicholas walks up. He pulls up a chair next to me and asks me for medicine for his head.  So, as I have many times before, I explain that his head is hurting because of the alcohol he drinks in addition to being in the sun all day without drinking water.  I pretty much have a repeat button when it comes to this.  So, then I could tell that everyone else was giving him a hard time in KuKu.  Come to find out he was saying he wants to marry Alice.  Sweet, Godly Alice.  He didn’t know what he had coming when he asked what I thought about that.  I laughed and said, “No, absolutely not.” I’m pretty sure I heard an amen or two. Haha…I went on to express that Alice was a Godly woman, God’s prized jewel and that she deserved nothing but the best, God’s standard for her.  I’m pretty sure someone said something about his drinking.  I confirmed that his drinking was not only not in her best interest, but his either.  So, then all of a sudden it seemed to turn into a “let’s bash Nicholas” session.  I know for a fact everyone else did not expect the way the conversation took a turn.  I just felt this overwhelming feeling that God was about to make much of Himself, and yet again, I was to push through what was likely about to be a tough situation.  So, someone mentions that Nicholas is useless.  That was all I needed.  I hate that word.  Everything about it is against the redeeming power of the Jesus I serve.  So, I very clearly spoke up that we are no different from Nicholas, but for the grace of God.  I pointed to each of them, including myself emphasizing that we ALL of things in our life that we struggle with, that Nicholas’ struggle was just easier seen.  Each time God reminds me of this truth I have a flash back to the precious birth mom’s I worked with as an adoption case worker.  Many times did I express this truth to them as they sat in front of me, their pregnant bellies there for all to see.  It’s often the sins that others can’t see that are more dangerous. 


I had everyone’s attention.  So, then I turn to talk specifically to Nicholas.  I knew everyone was listening, even if they didn’t want it to be noticeable that they were.  Past the man consumed with alcohol is a person with so much pain in need of the ONE thing that can fill the void he tries to satisfy with the drink.  I sat there talking to him about how he has the choice to walk away, but that is his choice alone.  We talked about God’s ability to change him.  I asked Nicholas if he knew what Jesus did for him.  Nope.  Well, today was the day.  I was sitting there looking in his eyes as he was trying to process it all and I just really felt that there were so many things he’d seen and done as a soldier that he was so desperately trying to get away from.  I mean, isn’t that what we all do?  Pick your drug of choice…alcohol, drugs, relationships, food, attention, etc. etc.  I could go on and on.  We use them to numb us.  Now, add the circumstances of a life lived where they have had to survive for decades.  Not live, but survive.  Now, once you’ve got that, go one step further by adding the dynamic of being a solider and all that includes.  Who’s to say I wouldn’t be doing exactly what Nicholas is doing with his life if I weren’t in his shoes? 

I told him so.  I told him I could not possibly imagine the things he’s seen and done.  I understood he was in pain.  I told him I didn’t blame him for wanting to get away from that pain, but he was only causing more pain with the alcohol.  Jesus has been waiting for him to give ALL his pain to Him.  One tear….two….

Brokenness is honestly one of the most beautiful things to me.  It’s so hard.  It hurts.  It’s absolutely necessary.  It’s freeing. It’s healing.

I was explaining to Nicholas an example of what Christ wants us to do in calling out to Him for forgiveness and healing and ultimately salvation.  I literally put my hands out and said, “He is just waiting for us to call out saying, “ Jesus I NEED you!”” Nicholas lifted his hands out and repeated exactly that.  I looked at him and smiled and asked him if he wanted to receive Jesus.  He said yes! As if to say, “Um, that’s what I was just doing before you interrupted me!” haha So, I said, “Amen, let’s pray.” 

Immediately everyone who was still sitting around who had been all talking amongst themselves immediately stopped talking and everyone bowed their heads!!  I wanted to chuckle.  Of course. 

So, I led Nicholas in a prayer.  He received Jesus as his Savior.  He received Him as his Healer. He asked Jesus to help him stop drinking so that he could follow Him fully.  I don’t have Bibles to hand out (but boy do I wish I did), but I did remember that I had some wonderful scripture cards that my friend Rachel made for me while here.  I went to my room and grabbed  the one that had scripture referring to Christ’s power and being led by the Holy Spirit.  I gave it to Nicholas so he could have some Truth with him at all times, as a reminder.  I told Nicholas that now it was time to learn to walk with the Lord.  I asked him who he was going to share his decision with.  He said he was going to testify in church on Sunday!  I was so excited.  He told me he would go to church with me.  So, I told him what time to come.  We finished up and someone mumbled that he wasn’t going to change, that he was going to come back drunk like he always is. 

Insert: Righteous anger. I’ll just leave it at that.

So, I made sure Nicholas looked at me, knowing he heard them, and told him to prove them wrong.  PROVE THEM WRONG!!! It’s Jesus you serve, no one else.

Oh, how I prayed that evening that Nicholas would be sober in the morning when he came for church.  Drew had a good point that he just prayed he showed up at all.  Just show up.  So often that’s what Jesus asks of us. Show up and He is the one to change us. 

So, I woke up the next morning, got ready, and Drew and I were eating breakfast.  I look up and walking up is Nicholas! THANK YOU, JESUS!! Unfortunately I could smell the alcohol on his breath.  But, he came.  So, we walked to church and he stayed for the whole service (despite seeing him get up and tell Peter he wanted to leave).  As custom at church, he stood and introduced himself as a first time guest. I was proud of him.  The message was really good for him to hear.

So, please, please be praying for Nicholas.  How wonderful would it be for him to set FREE from his addiction and be used as a LIGHT to the construction crew and everyone else around the compound?!!    

No comments: