Friday, August 1, 2008

Grocery Stalker?

Am I alone in that grocery shopping by myself can be extremely relaxing and enjoyable?! I suppose if I was married with 3 kids, had a crazy schedule, and was always on the run I might feel a little more able to say that. It's funny how I feel the need to be justified in that. Hmm. Well, regardless, this single with no children, working full time, (about to start the new semester--LAST semester of Grad School, praise Jesus!) girl enjoys grocery shopping by herself at times. I like the simple pleasures.
Well, tonight I was doing just that. As I walked into the store I remember smiling at a gentleman as I walked in right beside him. I typically look people in the face, and try to smile just because you never know who the Lord will place in your path and for what reason. So, I'm going along getting the items I need and I get to the sausage. I look up and this specific gentleman is next to me. I don't necessarily know why I noticed that, but I did. I tend to remember faces pretty well. I didn't think anything else of it. Then, I'm getting some shredded cheese and sure enough right along side me is this man. I look up and he was looking at me-kind of in a 'trying to not catch your eye' kind of way. I thought "huh-surely he's not making a breakfast casserole too!!" haha. OK, I didn't really think that, but it makes the story better. I did think, "what are the chances?" Before any of you get any ideas, this wasn't a "I think you are cute" look. If this guy had been maybe 20 years younger and I knew he loved Jesus this story would be totally different all together! :) Needless to say, that wasn't the case. So I go on my way to the yogurt/egg section. I head over to get the eggs and I'm looking down and in my peripheral vision i see the guy RIGHT next to me. Now, I'm not thinking about chance happening and my mind is starting to think, "What the heck? Anything is possible, but this is weird." I'll be honest--this is when 2 words came to mind. Grocery stalker. So, now my fight or flight has been notified and I'm thinking in terms of specifically going somewhere else to see if he follows me, praying he doesn't. I decide I've got what I need and I head to the register. I'm checking out and kind of looking around trying to be inconspicuous of my paranoid self and I'm thinking I'm clear. Then....duh duh duh......i see the guy at the register RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME. Did I mention that when I noticed him there he was looking at me?! Now, some of you may be thinking "Well, um Jessica-did you ever think that maybe he thought you were looking at him and that's why he was looking at you?" That is a great question. However, I would have never looked at him (outside of my first glance walking in the store in an attempt to show the love of Jesus) if my intuition wouldn't have given me the feeling someone was staring at me over and over...and over. Thanks for asking though. All logical thinking is out the door by this point and I'm thinking the guy is going to some how follow me out of the store, see me get in my car and possibly follow me home. I check out, head out the door, get in my car, look around unashamedly obvious, and head out. As I'm pulling out I see the guy in my rear view mirror walking down the same isle I parked on. Yeah, I know. So, needless to say I'm home safe and sound. So, to you grocery stalker, be aware. I have a loving dad--and I'm a daddy's girl. Get the drift? Oh, and a mean, ferocious miniature long haired weenie dog named Gracie. She's killer.

(A little drama added here and there--never hurts anything. No, I don't really think some random guy is sitting outside my house.)

3 comments:

Jessica said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katherine Page said...

So you totally should have gone down the tampon isle!

Jessica said...

ya know that would have been a great idea. too bad.