Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Honored Guest

So, we arrived in Kiri and we were pretty noticeable upon arriving.  I mean, the fact that we showed up in the land cruiser with 5 more people than normal, 3 of which were whites, pretty much settled that.  Considering they were used to Thomas and I casually pulling up on the motorbike it made sense that all eyes would be on us. 

Prior to going out to Kiri I had in mind that I would wash Abuba Poresi and Yaba’s feet.  I hadn’t the slightest idea how it would all come about or what it would look like, but just knew God had something there for me to do being it was my last time and I would be saying my goodbyes.  While we were driving out there I then began to wonder if washing their feet would be feasible, although I had no idea what not washing their feel would entail. 

We got out of the vehicle and I walked around and greeted a few people, introducing them to the rest.  Then, I led everyone towards Abuba’s home, hoping to find her there.  As I did each week, I walked up to her tukols and began yelling out, “Abuuuuuba. It’s Jeska.”  My sweet friend came out and I heard the heartwarming sound of, “Ahh, Jess-ee-ca!”  Words can’t express to you they joy I was privileged to experience each Friday as Abuba Poresi greeted me with more sincerity than most people ever know. 




Abuba grabbed her Bible and we all headed back out to the open market area.  I asked Abuba if she knew where Yaba was and after asking a couple of other people I was told he was sleeping up against the tree just nearby.   So, I walked over and saw him there-sprawled out, his head resting on the tree root, out to the world.  I stood there for a split second just looking at Yaba, God’s beautiful creation. Oh, how privileged I was to have him in my life.  That lasted a split second before one of the ladies yelled out, “YABA!!”  There’s nothing like being woken up by your name being screamed out! Haha He opened his eyes, staring straight at me as I was standing over him, and a smirk came across his face as he said, “Mama.” Sometimes I found myself literally wanting to grab Yaba and cradle him in my arms, speaking in a way that he would understand, expressing the depth and width and height of the love Christ has for him.  This was one of those moments. We did our usual sing song of him asking for money, me responding, him asking again, me smiling at him knowing that I could tell him anything and know that Jesus had allowed a bond to form that regardless, he knew I loved him.  

I turned around to see that a crowd had started to gather.  It wasn’t long either before the all too familiar man who I blogged about a little while back made an appearance.  Remember the man that was yelling at me telling me I was a thief and a liar? The one that Thomas stepped in and made the decision that I was no longer going to interact with? Yep. He was back with the same story.  I must admit, it was interesting to watch the rest of the gangs’ reaction to this man.  To me, it had become “normal”.  To others, somewhat concerning.  The men in the market place stepped in like last time and made sure this man kept his distance and wasn’t of any harm to anyone.   

Yaba began asking me for Mugatti like he always does, and every other week I would have simply walked with him over to the 2 ladies who sell it, but I realized that I literally had no Ugandan shillings.  I felt awful.  How could I not remember that I would need a mere 300 shillings to buy Yaba his mugatti for the last time?? Just then, Ami asked me if he would be happy with cookies.  Would he be happy with cookies?? Ha. Happy is a grave understatement.  She had a small package of cookies in her camera bag.  She almost didn’t bring them.  They were her last ones.  Thank you, sweet Jesus. Yaba’s face lit up simply at the sound of the crinkling wrapper. J So, with his cookies in one hand and what was left of my bottle of water in the other, Yaba was perfectly content.

I began to think that I was going to say my goodbyes’ to Yaba and Abuba, and off we’d go.  For some reason I found myself a little flustered.  I was stuffing down all of the emotions of leaving along with a bit of disappointment that I just didn’t have a peace about washing their feet.  So, I went to Abuba and explained that we would be leaving shortly and she asked that I speak to everyone first, simply letting them know I was going back home and encouraging them to know I will be praying for them. 

That’s when I looked up.

Under the tree were about 30 people neatly seated, waiting.  Then, I looked to my left and Abuba was walking over with 5 blue, plastic chairs.  I knew we’d be there for a while longer. J Abuba set up the chairs in a row facing the people under the tree. 

That’s when it hit me that everyone had been watching us interact with Yaba.  They saw it all.  Some were laughing.  Others were simply watching with emotionless faces. I was quickly reminded what “this” was all about.  “This” is what the Lord had for today.  “This” was about to be a very frank teaching to those gathered under the tree.  In that moment I realized what it was all about-it was so clear.

I gathered those with me and we made our way over to the plastic chairs, mentioning that we would all introduce ourselves.  I grabbed Yaba and asked him to sit right next to me on my left. Y’all, what I saw next is one of those moments that I will never forget and one that brought me more joy than I can express.  Yaba walked over to the chair, stood there and looked up at all of the people facing us, watching.  He had a cookie in his left hand and a water bottle in his right.  He looked over at me.  He sat down in the green plastic chair with his chest in the air and the biggest smirk on his face.  He was an honored guest and he knew it.  He was so confident.  It oozed off of him.  It was hilarious.  He sat there and looked around as if to say, “That’s right, look at me, I’m special, prized, and I love it!” I do believe it was more than simply being prized by me, folks. I really do.  Everything in my spirit felt like he “got it.” Abuba then came over and she sat on my right.  The rest of the team sat in the other chairs.

They didn’t get it, but it was me. Don’t you see? I was the guest.  I was the one who felt completely honored to be sitting between those two beautiful people.  I was the one so overjoyed at the privilege.   

We went one by one introducing ourselves and then the Lord gave me the words.  I thanked everyone for welcoming me into their lives.  I expressed what the Lord had sent me to do and encouraged them to walk in what they learned. Then, I turned to my precious friend, Yaba, who was still sitting beside me eating his cookie and drinking his water with such pride. 

I asked the crowd who had noticed that I had befriended Yaba.  Practically everyone raised their hand.  I then asked them who knew why I had befriended Yaba.  It was silent.  So, I asked them to share their guesses as to why I would want to become friends with Yaba.  A young man blurted out that I became friends with Yaba because maybe I wanted to take him home with me to America.  Everyone immediately started laughing.  I smiled and said, “Well thank you for guessing, but no, that’s most definitely not it!”  A woman raised her hand and said that I became friends with Yaba so I could earn status in Heaven.  Most nodded their head as to agree that was a better reason than the first.  With a heavy heart I thanked her also for guessing, but that I wasn’t Yaba’s friend to receive anything back in return, and most definitely not a better status in Heaven.  Then, an older woman raised her hand and said quietly, “You are friends with Yaba because that’s what you are supposed to do for God.”

She got it.

I stated that yes that is exactly right.  I began explaining to the group the character of Christ.  I shared with them what Christ calls us to be and to do as born again believers.  I was so very frank with them that Jesus doesn’t call us to just love those that are just like us, or are convenient, or are easy to love even, but everyone, including those like Yaba. I shared with the group their actions towards Yaba and even towards me because of befriending him. Things such as coming up to me and asking me why he was sitting by me on the bench (rather than on the dirt as usual), running him off so he didn’t bother us, talking about him as if he weren’t a person, etc.  I expressed that God sent me to love Yaba to be an example of His love and what it looks like lived out.  Through my tears I looked to Yaba as he sat there listening, and drew attention to the fact that he was my honored guest, always.  We, as children of God, are seated with Him in the heavenly realms!  We are precious and loved, and are to treat others as such! I challenged them to not miss out on the beauty of Christ by mistaking it for nothing. 

When all was said and done, I shared the Gospel. 

Abuba then took it upon herself to stand up and share.  If it was even possible, I feel even more in love with that beautiful old woman! She was on fire and boy did she have something to say to everyone! She reiterated what I talked about and then told them that they needed Jesus! She paced back and forth, back and forth, every now and then looking back at me with a smile on her face.  It was simply beautiful.

She closed us in prayer, and I knew God had accomplished what He desired through me in Kiri. My heart was at peace.

Then, Yaba points forward and says, “My Dad.” I looked and asked him what he said because I wasn’t sure why he was saying “My Dad.”  So, he repeated again and pointed.  The man he was pointing at started walking towards us.  Are you ready for this?!! The man sitting front and center of the group in front of us was Yaba’s father!!!  I had no idea! I had just shared my heart about Yaba, what Christ accomplished, etc., etc. and his dad was right there listening! I just love Jesus for how He worked that out, because if I had known maybe I wouldn’t have been as bold. You see, from what I had been told, Yaba’s parents are the landlords of the village.  This simply means they are over it and decisions made regarding to the village.  I was also told that they are Muslim. Him being there was no accident.

So, this really tall beautiful African man walks up and introduces himself to me as Yaba’s father.  Yaba then tells his dad to sit down next to him and then tells me he wants a picture of them together.  I couldn’t help but laugh as Yaba was directing everyone around.  Then, as they were getting ready to have their picture taken by Ami, I almost lost it.  Yaba had some cookie/drool on his face (the norm) and his dad leaned over and took his shirt and wiped Yaba’s face so gently so he would be “ready” for the picture.  Gentleness. Compassion.  Love.  My heart was so full. 



I don’t have any idea why I had never met Yaba’s dad before now.  I don’t know where he was.  I don’t know the exact dynamic of their family.  But, I do know that God had his dad front and center this day for a reason.  I do know that Yaba wanted a picture with his dad and was so very proud to have it taken with him.     

The time came to actually say goodbye.  My heart was so full but at the same time felt like it was being ripped apart.  I hugged Abuba and told her just how much I love and adore her and encouraged her to stay strong and continue seeking Christ, relying on His strength and power.  Seeing this sweet woman sad liked to kill me. Then, it was Yaba’s turn.  I went to him and told him how much I love him and as usual he wanted to shake my hand.  But, this time, he didn’t want to let go.  Everything about it was just so sweet.  I flashed back to the very first time I met Yaba and how he grabbed my hand and held it so tight it almost hurt, not letting go as he asked me for money…and here I was today saying my goodbyes as he had the same grip on me, not wanting to let go because he knew I was leaving for good.   


I got my hand out of his and made myself turn away and walk to the vehicle.  I could help but praise the Lord as we drove off, knowing He accomplished far more than I could ever know, humbled that He allowed me to be a part of His wondrous plan.

No comments: