Thursday, May 26, 2011

Life Under the Sun

I’m so sorry for the 3 week lapse in time with no update!  I had every intention of updating before heading off for my week of R&R in Uganda but the internet ended up not working at all for about a week prior to going and then it was time to head off.  Then, actually being able to be “unplugged” while in Uganda was simply nice.  I know; I’m living in Sudan, Africa and I went on an R&R where it was good to be “unplugged”.  Ironic, isn’t it? That being said, can I just tell you what an enormous blessing it is to have internet access here?

So, as you can imagine, the past 3 weeks have been full of …well, life. 

We went and had our first “official” group meeting in Kangapo.  Scovia went around mobilizing people as I sat and visited with those already gathered. Come to find out she went into a business to talk to people not knowing it was a bar. Perfect.  Many came and joined us, beer breath and all. Tons of stories were told and listened to.  They all seemed very excited to have the group up and going. Then, the next week I went back with Thomas.  It was quite a bit different.  None of the ladies were around. So, we planted ourselves right there under the tree amongst the drunk men. We had a variety of drunkenness…mild, moderate, and beyond reasonable drunk. I attempted to get the group going, but it simply wasn’t happening.  I ended up sitting and chatting with them all as they spouted questions left and right. Some made sense, some didn’t.  Some were about Scripture, some weren’t.  My motives for coming to Sudan were questions as I was yelled at for not having Bibles to give them one moment while the next breath I was told how grateful they were I was willing to leave my home to come and visit with them.  What did I do? I laughed. Okay, and maybe held my head in my hands at one point.  All in all, it was fun.  Just having Thomas look at me like I’m crazy as I’m doing my best to manage this group of men as he’s translating what seems to be random bits here and there is hilarious.  I promise you, it really is fun—frustratingly fun at times, but fun no less! J I left knowing none of it was in vein.  When I decided enough was enough for that evening they all seemed extremely happy that I was willing to even sit with them and be frank with them.  I’m a pretty bold person, but talking to a bunch of drunken Sudanese men takes it to a whole new level.  It’s Godly boldness, but a boldness that you can’t just get away with in any ‘ol situation.  There is beauty in Truth…and freedom.  It feels so good to simply and freely speak Truth knowing God will do with it what He chooses.     A few that had been there who weren’t drunk told me it might not be a good idea to come the following week seeing that it was a holiday and there was no question everyone would be ridiculously drunk since they will have ALL day to drink and celebrate.  I told them I would still be there; ready to share the Word and we’d see what God had in store. Well, the next Monday I wasn’t able to get to Kangapo because of a number of circumstances.  Think God knew? Mmmhmm. So, that’s where Kangapo left off…

Most all of the other groups met as usual.  One person came to the 1 o’clock group in Wudu 3 weeks ago.  I praise God for giving her the courage to come, when no one else did.  She finally opened up towards the end about some personal problems and her fear in surrendering to the Lord.  I really think it was a breakthrough for her to be able to share. Thank you, Jesus. It’s all a process of God softening the soil and the seeds being planted. The second group went well, as usual.  I asked Monica to lead the following week.  I prayed it would be the first group to be self-led.  Well, long story short it wasn’t so. I showed up was told this and that, was lied to, and no one came. Sigh. God continued telling me to press on.  Maybe when I get back from R&R?

My time in Mondikalok 3 weeks ago was hard.  That was a really, really hard day.  A number of the men who had been coming decided to inform Scovia, who informed me, that they wanted to completely cancel the group and that it was a waste of their time.  Talk about a blow to the gut.  I know that it’s not a waste of time, but having them think so was pretty disappointing and frustrating.  It ended up in a huge group discussion at the end with people saying it wasn’t a waste, others saying it was, them discussing why we even meet, excuses, on and on and on. They went back and forth amongst themselves for a while and I sat there watching, half way pleased.  I was seeing certain people take up for the fact that they WANT to meet and learn each week.  Conflict brings about resolution…if done right.  Yet again, God opened a door and told me to be bold.  I mean, calling people on their crud (excuses) is hard, especially in another culture where I am constantly trying to be aware of being sensitive.  In it all though, once I was able to think over things later on that evening, I found myself really thanking God for it all.  They were all open with me.  They were honest.  Did I like what they had to say? Nope, not really at all. But, they were actually frank with me, and that is something I cannot take for granted.  Often I know I am being told what a person thinks I want to hear and it can be so deflating because then it seems that they are lying and communication gets all messed up. I say to Scovia all of the time, “I just wish they would tell me the TRUTH.  I wish they felt comfortable sharing how they really feel and what they really think.”  Well, it happened and quite honesty that’s HUGE. 

….and guess what?! The next week…..THE FIRST SUDANESE FACILIATIED DISCIPLESHIP GROUP HAPPENED IN MONDIKALOK!! I can’t capitalize and bold those words enough to express to you my sheer joy.  I mean, it could have never happened, and I could have gone home and never seen that and God would still be pleased and so much would have still been accomplished but oh, how sweet it is for my Jesus to allow me to see a little bit of the fruit of my labor.  I had asked at the end of all the chaos the week prior if one of the youngest guys there named Moses would be willing to commit to lead the next week.  Since the ladies simply weren’t willing to follow through, I thought I’d go a different route.  He agreed and it was beautiful.  He was so nervous, his hands and voice shaking.  I walked him through it, and he did great.  To see how well the group responded to him was beautiful, too.  He needed constant encouragement and reassurance in and through the entire meeting.  I couldn’t help but have an overwhelming compassion for him as I held his hand through it all.  I got a glimpse at how Jesus must see his children who might be shaking through something yet still willing to obey.  There was a pure joy in watching Moses step out in faith and do it.  He did it.  He facilitated a group completely out of the realm of his culture.  He led a group of people that were ranging from 15-45 years older than him.  He led a group on the Word of God knowing he just came to know his Savior about a month ago.  He did it.  God did it! Moses agreed to lead it again the following week…

The group in Leikor is goin’ and goin’ good! J  I look back and have to smile knowing that Leikor was one of my first experiences with hoping to get the groups up and running and how amazingly discouraged I was in the beginning..because of this group.  Now, God has brought together a consistent bunch of people who look forward to meeting each week and are ready and waiting on me! I handed over the group for the following week to 2 ladies.  Yet again, I was praying, praying…and WOOOHOOO!! THE SECOND SUDANESE FACILIATED GROUP OCCURRED IN LEIKOR!! It was WONDERFUL! I didn’t have to even do much assisting, really.  I mean, this sweet mama KNEW the format, and she knew it well!  She even did just so great and listening and reflecting when the other group members offered their thoughts and opinions.  She was able to direct the conversation when something was said that didn’t really apply. Yet again, you are just going to have to take my word at how truly joyful I was to watch it all before me.  She took ownership and I couldn’t have asked for more.   I asked the other abuba (gma) to be the one to lead the next week when I was gone and she joyfully said she would.  I could tell that once she saw her friend do it she was more confident that she could, too.  That was my prayer.

Mere didn’t met for one reason or another…communication and rain. What can you do? I’m praying things are well with Phoebe as it’s hard to get a hold of her now that she’s moved to Wudu and doesn’t have any way for us to get a hold of her. 

Oh, you can be praying for Kiri.  There’s never been one group that’s been consistent this whole time.  Abuba Peresi and Yaba are pretty much it.  BUT, the week before I left I went and it was just Abuba there.  It went well and I got to visit with her and listen to her share some of her struggles.  I also prayed with and for her as she was telling me she was facing some spiritual attacks while she was sleeping at night.  Then, Johnson showed up.  Do you remember Johnson? He’s one of the Bible School Students who’s from Kiri and did a church plant around the area of Kiri.  I got to talk to him for a bit about him possibly overseeing and really getting the discipleship up and going with a consistent group of people and having the church he’s working in to oversee it. This really is the key—getting the churches to take ownership of these discipleship groups.  So, you can be praying for that.  I so badly want these people to be invested in and in turn see that growing in their relationships with Christ is worth it!

On a different note, would you mind praying for my ears? As silly as that sounds it’d be much appreciated.  They started giving me problems about 3 weeks ago and sweet Norma flushed them out for me.  As I mentioned, as ridiculous as it sounds I have abnormally small ear canals and an abnormal amount of wax production.  How’s that for making a gal feel feminine? Haha…It’s something I’ve dealt with for years.  Anyways, they felt tons better after Norma helped me out, but with all of my congestion I was having they were still aching a bit.  Well, then they got all clogged up again.  When I say clogged up what I mean is that I literally go deaf in the ear.  I can barely hear out of it to the point that someone was talking to me on my left side and because that was the ear giving me troubles I didn’t even know! It’s extremely annoying to say the least.  So, I flushed them out again myself and then they felt better.  Well, while I was in Uganda they got bad again…mainly my left one.  I flushed it again last night when I got home so I can hear again, but it’s pretty sore inside. 

So, a few of us got the chance to go over and visit with our new friend at his compound (the one I mentioned in the last few posts) Guess what his question was right before we left? He wanted to know if we could all meet together on a weekly basis and go over a chapter each time starting with the book of John! Boyyyy, I tell you what this was another moment where I maintained composure on the outside but on the inside I was having a hallelujah party!!! J Of course, we said we’d love to.  I mean, how wide does God have to open the door, ya know? He flung that baby WIDE open! So, the upcoming Sunday he headed over to the Water Harvest compound and guess what? What he meant of the first chapter of John was the BOOK of John!! Haha…we had a 4 or so hour conversation that was simply beautiful.  It was life giving. Do you know what I mean? The type of conversation that you walk away from feeling like life had been added to you? Oh, I pray you get to experience that if you haven’t already!  So, every Sunday afternoon we will be meeting.  If you think about it you can keep that in your prayers!

The Saturday before last a short term team arrived from Fort Worth.  I thank God for them.  In the 3 days I got to hang around them before I headed off to Uganda I laughed more than I had in quite a while.  They really were a funny, loving, and caring bunch.  I got to hear one of the men preach that Sunday, which was a blessing.  Little things from home can mean a lot, ya know? …hearing a sermon in my own language first and expressed in thoughts that are how I think really is a blessing.  You really do learn not to take anything for granted.  Oh, and praise the Lord, MANY from my church got baptized the Sunday before last.  It was beautiful and a huge celebration since it was the first baptisms from my church.

That Sunday evening I invited my friend over to my compound to visit with me and the team from Fort Worth since Grant and Norma were both in Uganda.  As expected, it was so great.  Another 4 hour or so conversation occurred and Truth, Truth, and more Truth was shared.  He read through the whole book of Luke this time.  You can imagine the truck loads of goodness that we talked about! J I do believe there will be a time where Jesus is seen for who He truly is!

I had the privilege of going out with the Fort Worth team the Monday before heading to Uganda to the village they were to plant a church in since I wasn’t supposed to have my group until 4 that afternoon.  I have never been so far out in the bush y’all.  It was SO neat.  Kaya literally was driving out in the bush just going wherever.  There was no road, not even a path.  He just drove over the tall grass and twigs.  This church was being planted by a church that was planted one year ago.  Get that? How awesome is that?  I got to share the Gospel with the kiddos and many of them expressed wanting to know Jesus.  All glory to Him. We then started walking…going from hut to hut sharing the Gospel and inviting them to the new church.  A husband and wife both surrendered their lives to Christ after hearing the Gospel.    If you would, please join me in praying for them as they both learn what it looks like to live a life serving Jesus and loving each other as He loves.

I really had to be purposeful in taking things to the Lord the 2 weeks before my R&R.  Not that I don’t need to all of the time, but let’s just say I was vastly aware of myself and all of my human glory.  There were times I struggled with compassion.  I struggled with patience.  I struggled with seeing the bigger picture.  I struggled with feeling appreciated.  I struggled with seeing outside of myself and focusing on the bigger picture.  I didn’t want to take the time to communicate effectively.  I didn’t want to understand that what I was hearing wasn’t necessarily what was intended.  I wanted things to be simple.  I wanted to see results. I wanted to simply feel understood. I wanted things to go my way.

One of many, many things He was showing me was just how utterly against my nature it is to be wholeheartedly dependent on God and God alone.  So many times my flesh just ached for something to make me feel like I was in control.  I can deal with being dependent on me, ya know?  At home I can choose where I go, when, to do what, what I eat, when I eat it, and on and on and on.  Here, I literally have NO control of any of that.  I am dependent on others for rides, for food, for instruction, and for goodness sake language! My own words are dependent on others. 

Thank God He is loving and patient and gracious with me.  He is so faithful to show me Himself in it all and gently remind me to snap out of it.  He knows when I need gentle whispers and when I need something to be blatantly obvious to me.  He always draws me back to Him.  Always. 


Look for an update on my R&R soon…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

FYI.... it's not just your feet that are beautiful! Thanks for sharing your heart! I love you!!!

Jill